Activism & Policy Committee
Chairs: John Wagner & Amy Schwartz
- We’re working to elect high quality Democrats with progressive values at all levels of government
- We advocate for excellent education for all residents of New York City and the entire country. Our immediate objectives are to increase funding for NYC's public schools and to ensure that all students have acess to digital devices and broadband access to the internet.
- We monitor violations of constitutional rights by the Executive Branch and coordinate rapid responses of the club to these violations by organizing demonstrations or by writing statements that are submitted to the Executive Committee and/or the membership of the FFDC for approval. We try to cooperate with like-minded Democratic Clubs and organizations to make our response more visible and effective.
- We educate the club on the state of the subway system and the barriers to improvement. We also focus on street-use and street safety, issues where the Club’s advocacy is likely to have an impact.
- We seek to rationalize and improve laws and infrastructure to facilitate safe, environmentally friendly bicycling in the city.
- We seek to change the NY law that prevents NYers from accessing help from physicians to peacefully end their lives when death is imminent.
- We seek to positively impact the Club, the Community (Assembly District), and City in the areas of racial inequality, diversity, and inclusion
- We seek to change NY's state law so that children (those under 18, who do not have the same rights as an adult) can't be legally married in NY.
Marijuana Legalization Working Group Chairs: Jane Lindberg & Fred Newton
- We seek to legalized the possession of marijuana at teh state and national level and to create a simple, sensible, system to allow production and distribution of marijuana while providing additional taxes to NY. We are also concerned about the possible abuse of drug testing.
Reforming the Democratic Party Working Group Chair: John Wagner
- We seek to reform the anti-democratic, bureaucratic, and secretive practices and structure of the Democratic Party, especially at the level of the Count Committee and the State Committee; but we also have interests in the functioning of the Party at the national level.
- We will work to promote the rights of every citizen and every group to have a fair impact on our government at the ballot box by promoting equitable reapportionment and an accurate census.
- We seek implementation of simpler, fairer tax plans that will raise adequate revenue for government functions and address the growing inequality of income and wealth in the US. We see this as an efficient way to improve quality of life.
Health Care Working Group Chairs: in transition
- We advocate of quality health care for everyone living in both in NY and the USA.
Climate Change and Environment Working Group Chair: Amy Schwartz
- We focus on reducing carbon dioxide emission as a key strategy to limit global warming and we identify and promote legislation and policies to save our environment.
Election Reform Working Group Chair: Ben Wetzler
- We coordinate with the statewide 'Fair Elections for NY' campaign, taking direction from them on what forms of advocacy were appropriate (e.g., ranked choice voting, matching funds programs, voter registration, and voting procedures),
Outreach & Diversity Committee
Chair: Tricia Shimamura & Marina Phillips
Chair: Matt Lombardi
Social Media Committee
Chairs: Jeremy Berman & Sarah Lasker
Our work in media encompasses maintaining our accounts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter; issuing and promoting news of club activities to the press; and using any and all media to engage our elected officials, club members and potential club members.