March General Meeting
Thursday, March 16, 2023
Location: The Church of the Holy Trinity and on zoom
Agenda and meeting notes:
- Welcome from Jerry Ferguson, Club President
Update on recent club activities:
Ben Akselrod, endorsed candidate for District Leader
- Petitioning / pizza party Saturday, March 18th at 10am to 12pm at 67th St Green Market and 1pm to 3pm in St. Catherine's Park
- Assembly Member Alex Bores to join.
- Ben Akselrod, endorsed candidate for District Leader
State Committee report (Jeremy Berman)
- Update on the efforts to replace Jay Jacobson current head of the NY State Democratic Party.
- On the news Erica https://bit.ly/RJJwnyc
- Email Erica Vladimer to get involved [email protected]
Q&A with the audience
- Background on Jay Jacobs and the State Committee – getting someone who is more responsive to the party.
- National Dems set up a “war room” to deal with the dysfunction of the Dems Party – is this effort involved; no – we’re not involved, but what we’re doing involves a broad coalition.
Spring Fundraiser announcement
- Thursday, May 4th at 73rd 7-10 PM; ticket tiers to be sent out via the newsletter.
- Resolution in support of arts education in New York City Public Schools [link]
Arts Education in NYC Public Schools and Q&A – organized by the Education Working Group co-chaired by Amy Schwartz and Debra Freeman. [link to the FB / zoom recording]
- Kimberly Olsen, Executive Director of the NYC Arts in Education Roundtable
- Lucy Sexton, Executive Director, New Yorkers for Culture & Arts
- Mark Levine, Manhattan Borough President
Discussion on the resolution and club vote
Discussion to add a statement including advocacy for after school education.
- Motion did not pass.
- Main resolution passed.
- Discussion to add a statement including advocacy for after school education.
- Remarks from Borough President Mark Levine, focused on the Affordable Housing crisis.
- Meeting adjourned